Jelly Cake Slice
Recipe thanks to our Waikouaiti facilitator, Katrina McAra from KM Fitness and Nutrition.
You can stay up to date with all of Katrina’s upcoming events and news over on her Facebook Page.
Katrina has put her own clever twist on a jelly cake recipe that she loved at primary school and has used a recipe from Dr Libby as her inspiration for the base. We’re sure you’ll agree that the outcome looks mouth-watering!
1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup nuts of choice (Katrina used almond meal)
2 tbsp psyllium husk
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
2 tbsp flax seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp filtered water
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups cashew nuts (soaked overnight then drained and rinsed)
1 cup filtered water
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
Jelly Topping Ingredients:
1/4 cup natural gelatin
1/2 cup filtered water
1 cup raspberries (Katrina used frozen)
1/4 cup hot water
Juice of 1 lemon
1. To make the base, combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and process until combined and sticky.
2. Line a 25cm tin with baking paper and press the base mixture down firmly in the tin.
3. To make the filling, put all of the ingredients in food processor (apart from coconut oil) and blend until smooth.
4. Add coconut oil until the mixture is combined. Pour on top of base and place back in fridge.
5. To make the jelly topping, bloom the gelatin by mixing the gelatin with the water.
6. Blend together the raspberries, hot water and lemon juice then sieve out the raspberry seeds.
7. Place mixture in a pot with 1/2 cup extra water and whisk until it simmers. Allow to cool and then pour on top of the filling.
8. Place slice in the fridge to cool and store, then slice and enjoy!