Raw Chocolate Mint Treats
Recipe thanks to our Wellington facilitator, Abigail Watson from Ameliorer.
You can stay up to date with all of Abigail’s upcoming events and news over on her Facebook page.
This recipe uses our Chocolate Mint Squares recipe from our Foundation programme as the base and is filled with an utterly delicious peppermint coconut filling and crunchy chocolate topping.
½ cup almonds (soaked overnight or at least 2 hours, then drained and rinsed)
½ cup sesame seeds
8 large figs
½ cup pitted dates
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup desiccated coconut
2 tbsp water
2 cups cashews (soaked for 2 hours, then drained and rinsed)
1/3 cup coconut cream
¼ cup desiccated coconut
½ cup melted coconut oil
10 drops peppermint essence (or less if preferred)
¼ cup mint leaves
¼ cup brown rice syrup
2 tbsp maple syrup or honey for added sweetness (optional)
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1. Make the base by combining the soaked almonds, sesame seeds, figs, dates, cocoa powder and desiccated coconut in a food processor until smooth.
2. Add the water if the mixture is too dry. If needed add more until desired consistency is reached.
3. Evenly spread the mixture onto a lined baking tray and pop in the fridge to set.
4. To make the filling, in a food processor combine the soaked cashew nuts, coconut cream, desiccated coconut, coconut oil, brown rice syrup, mint leaves until a smooth creamy texture is achieved.
5. Add peppermint essence until preferred flavour is achieved.
6. Pour mixture over the base and allow to set in the fridge or freezer.
7. Once slice has set, make the chocolate topping by mixing dark chocolate with the coconut oil. Melt in the microwave on 30 second bursts, mixing between each burst until the chocolate has melted. You can also do this on a stovetop if you prefer.
8. Pour the chocolate as an even layer over the slice and keep in the fridge to set. Slice and enjoy!