Improving Liver Health
You have likely heard about many different types of liver cleanse and detox programmes or products, and you may have tried a liver detox for yourself. Part of what you learn about in the Taste Success programme is how to incorporate foods that are healthy for your liver in your diet. You will also learn about the importance of the liver not just for weight loss but good health. This will help you identify whether sub-optimal liver function may be an issue for you.
The liver is a very busy organ. It has the important role of processing all of the environmental chemicals we are exposed to, the chemicals from our food supply, any pharmaceutical medications we may take, along with any caffeine and alcohol we consume. It also has the responsibility for processing all of our hormones, and helping with complex digestive processes. It stores reserves of glucose and helps metabolise fats. All this and more make liver function crucial for weight loss as well.
So how do we know if our liver health is compromised? Here are a few of the symptoms that can give a hint that all might not be well:
▪ Waking at 1 to 3 am
▪ Poor alcohol tolerance
▪ Poor tolerance of fatty foods
▪ Skin conditions
▪ Joint aches and pains
Supporting the liver is a very important part of a long-term health plan. Aside from avoiding the things that put an extra strain on the liver like alcohol for example, there are a number of simple foods to include in your diet to support liver health.
You can use simple methods on an everyday basis to provide your liver with some support:
▪ Follow a healthy food programme like Taste Success that includes plenty of vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds, herbs, and some fruit and lean protein.
▪ Drink the juice of half a lemon in a cup of warm water first thing in the morning.
▪ Drink dandelion, burdock or chicory tea either alone or in a blend.
▪ Limit your intake of damaged fats and oils. This includes rancid and deep fried foods.
▪ Limit your intake of caffeine and alcohol.